Lemon-Poppy Seed Ricotta Pancakes
For a special breakfast treat, serve these irresistible pancakes from Brooklyn Flea vendor Betsy Devine (Salvatore Bklyn).
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese, plus more for serving
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Unsalted butter, softened, for cooking
- Honey Syrup, for serving
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In a large bowl, mix together ricotta, milk, egg yolks, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the cheese mixture and mix until batter is just combined. Stir in lemon zest and poppy seeds.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; brush surface with butter. Working in batches, ladle 1/3 cup batter for each pancake on griddle, leaving space as they will spread. Cook until golden and top begins to bubble, 3 to 4 minutes. Gently turn and continue cooking until bottoms are light brown, 3 to 4 minutes more. Serve immediately with ricotta and honey syrup.