Bean and Pasta Soup
To make a vegetarian version of this soup, replace the bacon with two tablespoons of olive oil and the chicken stock with vegetable stock. Add more seasoning to taste.
- 1 strip (1 ounce) bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) beans, such as navy or cannellini, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups reduced-sodium canned chicken broth
- 3/4 cup tubetti, ditalini, or other short, tubular pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
In a Dutch oven or stockpot, cook bacon over medium heat until browned and crisp, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
Add onion and carrots; cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and rosemary; cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in tomato paste, beans, broth, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until soup has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
With a potato masher, mash some of the beans (still in pot) to thicken soup. Add pasta; cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with parsley.