This tassel -- and our Horsehair Bracelet -- are great gifts to make in bulk for all your stylish friends.
Tools and Materials
- Start with 12 inches of horsehair. Take a grouping of hair, and tie tightly at center point with waxed twine.
- Fold hair in half, and tie off tightly about 1 1/2 inches down from the fold. Remove hairs that have escaped.
- Trim tassel to desired length.
- Cover the waxed twine around body of tassel with a piece of leather trim. Dab glue to secure as you wrap.
- Stitch the trim closed.
- To finish, add a leather tie to the top of the tassel.
Horsehair, in Black, 13" to 15", $19.75 per lb., nantahalatradingpost.com. Waxed linen twine, in Black, $15 for 100 yd., caning.com. Machined end cap, 1/4", in Brass, 75 cents; round jump ring, 1/4", in Brass, 25 cents; and brass lobster clasp, 7.3 mm by 12.9 mm, 45 cents; store.metalliferous.com. Silver-plated lobster clasp, 18 mm by 10 mm, $1; silver-plated split rings, 6 mm, $2 for 100; and plain bell caps, 6 mm opening, $1.29 each; silverenchantments.com. Barge glue cement, $7 for 2 oz., acehardware.com. Round-nose pliers, $5.25, firemountaingems.com. Silver blackener, $13 per pint; and Brown-Black Brass, Bronze, & Copper Darkener, $12.25 per pint; jaxchemical.com.