Cuban Black Beans
In a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook until onion is softened, about 6 minutes. Add carrots and cumin and cook until fragrant, 1 minute; season with salt and pepper.Advertisement
Add black beans, 8 cups water, bay leaf, and cilantro stems and bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender and liquid is slightly thickened, adding more water to cover if needed, about 1 1/2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf and cilantro stems before serving.
Serve with cilantro, tomato, and rice for a meal that's good for you -- and your budget.
To store, refrigerate, up to 5 days, or freeze, up to 6 months; you'll need 4 cups beans for each of the following recipes.
Bean Bonanza! More Ideas For Your Big Batch
- Lightly mash and thin with broth to make a soup.
- Puree with canned chipotle chiles and use as a dip for chips or a spicy spread on a grilled-chicken sandwich.
- Top crisp lettuce or shredded cabbage salads with warmed beans.
- Stir some beans and salsa into scrambled eggs.
- Spoon beans and sour cream on a baked potato.