The Best Oils to Use for Glowing Skin at Every Age, According to Dermatologists
When you think of anti-aging skin care products, a few types quickly come to mind—namely, serums, moisturizers, and sunscreen. While these three formulations can work wonders on mature skin, one essential category often gets overlooked: oils.
"Oils help to seal in moisture by preventing water loss from the skin, helping to improve the barrier function," says Britt Craiglow, MD, FAAD, a double board-certified dermatologist. This is especially important considering how our moisture barrier weakens over time. In addition to their strengthening abilities, many oils also contain ingredients with specific preventative aging properties, making them a must-have for people looking to soften fine lines and wrinkles.
Whatever your skin concerns are, there is likely an oil out there for you. Options range from traditionally wet oils that leave a noticeable dewiness in their wake to fast-absorbing dry types that are beneficial for those with oily, combination, or sensitive skin.
How to Choose a Face Oil
Given the many oils that do exist, it's important to keep your skin type at top of mind when selecting a product—especially if you're reactive. "People with sensitive skin need to be particularly cautious when trying a face oil, as many contain plant-based ingredients that can cause irritation or an allergic reaction," Dr. Craiglow says.
Start by patch testing on another area of your body. "We often recommend trying a small amount on the inner forearm for several days before applying to the face," Dr. Craiglow says. When you do begin using them on your face, it's best to start with just one to three drops. In the morning, apply the oil after your serum and before your SPF. At night, use these products post-moisturizer to help seal everything in.
The Best Facial Oils on the Market
- Drunk Elephant Virgin Marula Luxury Face Oil
- MARA Algae + Moringa Universal Face Oil
- Algenist Advanced Anti-Aging Repairing Oil
- Sunday Riley U.F.O. Ultra Clarifying Face Oil
- La Mer The Renewal Oil
- The Ordinary 100% Rosehip Seed Oil
- Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Oil
- REN Clean Skincare Bio Retinoid Anti-Wrinkle Concentrate Oil
- RMS Beauty Beauty Oil
- Biossance 100% Sugarcane Squalane Oil
- Murad Multi-Vitamin Infusion Oil
- Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Retinol Oil
- Farmacy "Honey Grail" Ultra-Hydrating Face Oil
- Mae Love ″Love 31″ Facial Oil