The 8 Best Small-Space Air Conditioners to Cool Your Home
When summer temperatures climb, there's only so much a fan can do to cool down a room, especially when you're trying to sleep. But if you don't have a central air conditioning system, you know as well as anyone how difficult it is to get shut-eye without some form of cool breeze. Luckily, there's a simple solution to this problem: small-space air conditioners. Typically available as a window unit or portable appliance you can move from room to room, the mechanism can easily cool down any area of your home, but they're especially great for bedrooms and home offices.
When shopping for an air conditioner, be sure to check the British Thermal Units, or BTUs—which measure cooling capacity—to see which size is appropriate for your space. Typically, a unit will use 20 BTUs per square-foot to cool a room, so for a 100 to 250 square-foot room, you'll need about 5,000 to 6,500 BTU. Choose an appliance that's cooling capacity matches the size of your space, and you'll effectively bring down the temperature, as well as eliminate unwanted humidity.
Whether you're looking for a window unit or a portable device, we've rounded up the best air conditioners for small spaces that will effectively cool the more intimate areas of your home.
- Best Overall: Whynter Arc-14s 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
- Best Window Unit: Frigidaire 8,000 BTU 115-Volt Window-Mounted Mini-Compact Air Conditioner
- Best Portable: Black and Decker 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
- Best Miniature: Llfaiww Personal Mini Portable Air Conditioner
- Best Affordable: Frigidaire Window-Mounted Room Air Conditioner, 6,000 BTU
- Best Smart: LG 8,000 BTU Smart Portable Air Conditioner
- Best Quiet: Frigidaire Inverter Quiet Temp Smart Room Air Conditioner, 12,000 BTU
- Best Dehumidifier: Costway 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner and Dehumidifier Function