The 10 Best Round Brushes for an At-Home Blowout, According to Stylists
Whether you're looking to simply smooth and polish your hair or go all-out with a voluminous blowout, there's one tool that you absolutely need when styling it: a round brush. This brush is exactly what it sounds like—it's a cylinder-shaped piece with bristles all around the barrel, and is meant to smooth strands and add volume to hair. While you can use a round brush on dry hair to add body, natural hair care professional and stylist Erinn Courtney says using this tool with your blow dryer will give you the best results. "Using a round brush requires practice," adds Alterna Haircare creative team member Ana Paz. "Round brushes are usually used in unison with a blow dryer to manipulate the smoothness of the cuticle."
Here's the thing: There are a lot of round brushes on the market, and ultimately, choosing the right one has less to do with what type of hair you have and more about what desired finish you're aiming for. "Round brushes do not necessarily differ by texture," says Courtney. "However, depending on the style that you are trying to achieve—and yes, the type of hair texture you have—you may want to opt for different brushes. Round brushes with stiff bristles are great for thick and curly hair because they help to detangle. A round brush with a smaller barrel, when used with low heat, would be a good option for someone with finer [and] thinner hair."
You'll also want to consider the length of your hair when selecting the best round brush for you, says Courtney. If you have short strands, she says to choose a smaller sized barrel; if you have long hair, choose something larger. As for materials? Paz prefers aluminum- and ceramic-coated barrels. Aluminum iterations heat up with the dryer's hot air, which allows strands to dry faster. Ceramic barrels, on the other hand, release negative ions to add shine and make hair soft.
- Best Overall: GHD Size 3 Ceramic Vented Radial Brush
- Best Budget: Conair Quick Blow Dry Round Brush
- Best Splurge: Christophe Robin Pre-Curved BlowDry Hairbrush
- Best For Detangling: Harry Josh Pro Tools Magnesium Thermal Brush
- Best Round Brush with Hot Air: T3 Airebrush Duo Blow Dry Brush
- Best Round Brush with Boar Bristles: Fixbody Boar Bristles Round Brush
- Best Round Brush for Long Hair: Olivia Garden NanoTheramic + Ion Round Thermal Brush
- Best Round Brush for Short Hair: Suprent Nano Therma Ceramic & Ionic Roller Hairbrush
- Best Round Brush for Naturally Curly Hair: Wet Brush Volume & Body Round Brush
- Best Round Brush for Volume: Hot Tools Professional Ceramic 1-3/4 " Spiral Round Brush
Now that you know more about the types of round brushes that should be on your radar, you're likely ready for some expert recommendations. Luckily, Courtney and Paz shared their top picks for an at-home blowout. Scoop up one of their brush choices to bring yourself one step closer to a bouncy blowout that lasts all day.