We Found the 11 Best Hair Brushes on the Market—Including One for Every Hair Type
Along with the correct shampoo, conditioner, and styling products, the right hair brush goes a long way towards keeping strands strong and healthy. Ultimately, you can't use just any brush—and these tools aren't one-size-fits-all. It's best to select an option with your hair type in mind, says Annagjid Kee Taylor, a celebrity hairstylist and the owner of Deeper Than Hair. "Certain bristles, such as synthetics, are better for thicker hair types—they cause less static. Natural bristles, on the other hand, will help distribute oils throughout the hair, which is great for thinner hair types," she says.
You'll also want to consider what you need your hair brush to achieve. Are you looking for something that detangles and is safe to use on hair that is still damp? Or are you searching for a styling tool? These are all questions you'll want to answer before making that purchase. "Determining whether you are looking for a detangler, an after-shower brush, or a styling tool will help you decide which option is best for you," affirms Whitney Eaddy, a celebrity stylist and the founder of Juices & Botanics, a hair growth company.
Once you identify and buy the right option for your needs, Taylor says to brush your hair at least twice per day to distribute your scalp's natural oils throughout strands; doing so will keep hair healthy and detangled. Excess brushing, she cautions, can irritate your scalp and cause breakage. For those with textured hair, Eaddy says it is important to brush hair after you shower and before you go to bed to ensure you are protecting hair from knots and tangles. (It will also make brushing come morning so much easier).
The Best Hair Brush for Every Hair Type
- Best Brush Overall: Y by Yusef Cushion Paddle Brush
- Best Brush for Fine Hair: Briogeo Vegan Boar Bristle Hair Brush
- Best Brush for Wavy Hair: Luxy Hair Wide Tooth Cloud Comb
- Best Brush for Thick Hair: GHD Paddle Brush
- Best Brush for Naturally Curly Hair: Rizos Curls Pink Detangling Flexi Brush
- Best Brush for Coily Hair: Denman D31 Freeflow Styler 7 Row
- Best Brush for Pixie Cuts: Babylisspro Rotating Hot Air Brush 2 Inch
- Best Budget: Conair Ceramic Wood All-Purpose Boar Hair Brush
- Best Splurge: Mason Pearson Popular Mixture Hair Brush
- Best for Wet Hair: Wet Brush EPIC Professional Quick Dry
- Best Brush for Edge Control: Pattern Edge Tool
With all that in mind, we asked Taylor and Eaddy to share their top brush picks—and suggested several editor-approved favorites, too. Scroll down to find the best brush for your hair type and texture, and scoop it up quickly. Better hair days are on the other side of your purchase.