The 10 Best Hair Straighteners for Every Hair Type and Budget
Choosing the correct hair straightener for your hair type is important if you want to keep your strands healthy long-term—after all, too much heat can cause breakage and dryness. How can you know which device is right for you? Despite a sea of options, there are a few ways to narrow it down. According to celebrity hairstylist Andrew Fitzsimons, the first two elements to consider before picking a tool are your hair's texture and its current state. From there, decide between the two most common iterations—ceramic or titanium—which heat up differently. The former, he says, heats hair from the inside and are less harsh, while the latter reaches higher temperatures and can be more damaging, depending on your skill level.
- Best Overall Straightening Iron: GHD 1' Platinum + Styler
- Best Splurge Straightening Iron: Dyson "Corrale" Hair Straightener
- Best Budget-Friendly Straightening Iron: Conair Double Ceramic Flat Iron
- Best Straightening Iron for Fine Hair: BaByliss Pro Nano Titanium Straightener
- Best Straightening Iron for Thick Hair: T3 Single-Pass Styling Iron Custom Blend Ceramic + Ionic Flat Iron For Hair
- Best Straightening Iron for Natural or Curly Hair: Xtava Pro-Satin Advanced Infrared Straightener
StyleSeat haistylist Kamara Brown suggests using a ceramic device if you have fine hair; the lower temperature and even heat distribution allows you to straighten sans damage. If you have thicker or naturally curly strands, titanium is best. These often have larger plates, explains Brown, and can heat up faster; their settings often reach 350 degrees and allow for fewer passes through the hair to keep healthy and smooth. Though she recommends using a hair steamer if you have naturally curly hair ("It can be a healthier choice," she says), a titanium hair straightener is the next best bet. With all of that in mind, we asked Brown and Fitzsimons to share their favorite hair straighteners for each hair type (we picked out a few of our favorites, too). Find some of the best devices on the market, below, and discover the right one for you.