According to Suzie de Rohan Willner—the CEO of Toast—Style Doesn't Work Without Substance
There's a chic practicality and earthiness to everything from Toast, the British fashion and home-goods brand. You can imagine the woman who shops there baking something in an indigo workwear dress, catching an art show in a colorful kantha coat, or reading the latest Booker Prize winner under a cozy throw. Or you can meet the real deal: Suzie de Rohan Willner, who became CEO six years ago after roles at fashion biggies like Timberland and Levi Strauss.
Suzie's Top Picks
- Favorite Lip Balm: Westman Atelier Squeaky Clean Liquid Lip Balm in Nana
- Currently Reading: Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger
- Nourishing Hand Cream: Weleda Skin Food Original Ultra-Rich Cream
- Go-To Eye Cream: Susanne Kaufmann Eye Cream Line T
- Cozy Shoes: Birkenstock Arizona Shearling Sandals
- Signature Scent: Aēsop Marrakech Intense Eau de Parfum
"Your clothes speak to who you are," says the new grandmother, who unwinds by practicing yoga, grows her own vegetables, and drives an electric car. "We dress three generations of women, and we're passionate about craftsmanship and provenance." An eco ethos matters, too. The company uses 85 percent natural fibers in its clothing and offers online darning and mending tutorials to make them last; its New Maker program supports artisans on the rise. "There's an agelessness about Toast," says de Rohan Willner, who revels in feeling the textures of each fabric the team weaves for a collection. "I love architectural silhouettes and staples that are easy and comfortable—and a functional pocket is a must." Here, she shares a few of her favorite things, from her go-to Toast blouse to the lip balm that ties it all together.