What Is Hair Lotion and What Are the Benefits Associated with Using It?
You can boost the health of your hair by adding just one other essential to your arsenal of beauty supplies, aside from your shampoo and conditioner—and no, we're not talking about leave-in conditioners and serums. While these products can help refresh your strands on wash day, hair lotion is a valuable product that can do this and more on an everyday basis. "Hair lotions have a more lightweight texture than some leave-ins, serums, or moisturizing gels, so they can truly be used for all hair textures without feeling like your hair is being weighed down," Resa B. Luster, the senior brand manager at Luster's Pink, says. "They can be used daily, while leave-ins are traditionally used after a wash day regimen and serums are used more sparingly."
- Best Scalp Relief: Pink Growth and Scalp Relief Natural Oil Moisturizing Lotion
- Best Conditioning: Cantu Shea Butter Conditioning Creamy Hair Lotion
- Best Natural Hair Option: Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream Creamy Hair Lotion
- Best Strengthening: SheaMoisture Strengthen, Grow & Restore Styling Lotion Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- Best Texturizing: Oribe Matte Waves Texture Hair Lotion
- Best Thickening: Moroccanoil Thickening Lotion
Another benefit to using this soon-to-be hair routine mainstay? "Hair lotions have moisturizing and conditioning ingredients that can soften hair and make it more manageable," Taliah Waajid, a natural hair expert and the founder of Taliah Waajid, Uncle Jimmy, and FroBabies, explains. Further, they penetrate the scalp to relieve any itchiness or dryness at the root. So whether you want to refresh your hair each and every day or need to add moisture before you work in "styling products, braids, wigs, and other protective styles," Luster adds, this type of product is one of the best for optimal care. Ahead, find several hair lotions to shop now.