How to Convert Tabletop Photo Frames to Hang on the Wall

Two ways, one frame to display your favorite photographs of family and friends.

We independently evaluate all recommended products and services. If you click on links we provide, we may receive compensation. Learn more.

Picture frames—in countless colors, styles, and sizes—add the finishing touch to a favorite piece of artwork or memorable photograph. When you choose a frame, do not limit your options to ones that already have hanging hardware on the back.

Whether you're looking to declutter your counter space or enjoy switching up your home design, converting your standing picture frames to wall-hanging ones is a versatile way to reinvent what you already own. Casey Hardin, a Decorist Elite designer, says that converting your tabletop frames to wall-hanging frames is really quite simple. "I love repurposing items and using old tabletop frames to create a photo or art gallery on the wall," she says. "It is an easy way to change up the look in your space." Here's how to do it, according to our designer.

framed landscape photography hanging above writing desk
Erik Johnson

Adjust the frame's hardware.

According to Hardin, your first step to converting a frame is to change the hardware. Unscrew the brace from the back of the frame with a screwdriver, or cut it with a utility knife, running the blade between the frame backing and the brace. This allows the frame to sit flush against the wall.

Next, look for the frame's sawtooth picture hanger located on the back of it. If there isn't one, you can easily fix that by purchasing a picture-hanging kit like the Simply Essential 208-Piece Picture Hanging Kit in Gold ($10,

Use the right hanging method.

"When hanging your frame on the wall, you should make a mark slightly above where you want the picture to hang and add a trim nail," explains Hardin. Then, take your located sawtooth hanger and use that to attach the frame to the nail, positioning the frame so that it's level with the floor.

Was this page helpful?
Related Articles