The Best Pillows for Every Sleeping Position
Your pillow needs can fluctuate based on how you like to sleep. What's more, professionals say that a certain degree of personalization is key—that means the best pillow for you might not be the ideal fit for your partner and vice versa. "When it comes to quality sleep, your pillow is ultra-important," explains Dr. Kien Vuu. "They play an important role in maintaining proper spinal alignment, so it's critical to understand how your sleep position informs which pillow is best for you."
For example, back sleepers generally get a better night's sleep with a pillow that offers soft to medium support, while those who prefer to sleep on their stomachs may feel more comfortable throughout the night when they use a softer pillow. As for side sleepers? They will benefit from a medium to firm iteration (as well as the occasional extra for pelvic support). Ahead, a few of our favorite pillows to help you tailor your sleep environment.
- Gel Pillow for Combination Sleepers: Ella Jayne Overstuffed Plus Gel Pillow
- Extra-Firm Pillow for Back Sleepers: Beautyrest Extra-Firm Pillow
- Medium Support Pillow for Back Sleepers: James Hotel Quality Polyester Pillows
- Contoured Face Pillow for Stomach Sleepers: Elviros Cervical Memory Foam Pillow
- Memory Foam Pillow for Side Sleepers: Sealy Molded Memory Foam Pillow