10 First Dance Song Ideas from Your Parents' Era
The '80s will always be remembered for big hair, padded shoulders, and great love songs. (Power ballad, anyone?) If your parents married in this decade, they had plenty of romantic, emotional tunes to choose from for their first dance. Interested in honoring them and the decade with a first dance sung by Peabo, Lionel, Prince, or Sade? Check out these sob-worthy picks.
1. "Endless Love" by Lionel Ritchie and Diana Ross (1981)
"Two hearts that beat as one
Our lives have just begun…
I'll hold you close in my arms
I can't resist your charms"
2. "Someone Like You" by Van Morrison (1987)
"Someone like you makes it
Someone like you
Keeps me satisfied
Someone exactly like you."
3. "It Had to Be You" by Harry Connick, Jr. (1989)
"It had to be you
It had to be you
I wandered around and finally found
The somebody who could make me be true"
4. "Sweet Love" by Anita Baker (1986)
"Sweet love hear me callin' out your name
I feel no shame; I'm in love
Sweet love, don't you ever go away
It'll always be this way"
5. "The Rose" by Bette Midler (1980)
"Some say love, it is a river, that drowns the tender reed
Some say love, it is a razor, that leaves your soul to bleed
Some say love, it is a hunger, an endless aching need
I say love, it is a flower, and you, it's only seed."
6. "You're the Inspiration" by Chicago (1984)
"You're the meaning in my life
You're the inspiration
You bring feeling to my life
You're the inspiration
Want to have you near me
I want to have you hear me saying
No one needs you more than I need you"
7. "Tonight I Celebrate My Love" by Peabo Bryson and Roberta Flack (1983)
"Tonight I celebrate my love for you
It seems the natural thing to do
Tonight no one's gonna find us
We'll leave the world behind us"
8. "Adore" by Prince (1987)
Until the end of time
I'll be there for you
You own my heart and mind
I truly adore you"
9. "Your Love is King" by Sade (1984)
"Your love is king
Crown you in my heart
Your love is king
You're the ruler of my heart
Your kisses ring
Round and round and round my head
Touching the very part of me
It's making my soul sing"
10. "Could I Have This Dance?" by Anne Murray (1980)
"Could I have this dance for the rest of my life?
Would you be my partner every night?
When we're together it feels so right
Could I have this dance for the rest of my life?"
- The Bride's Splashy Wedding Dress Encapsulated the Joy at This Micro Wedding in California
- Seven Simple Ways to Ease Your First-Dance Nerves
- Kate Middleton and Prince William Just Shared an Unknown Detail About Their Family's New Dog
- A Black-Tie, Tuscan-Inspired Wedding on a Private Estate in California