5 Tips for Finding the Perfect Wedding Dress
Going by the nom de plume "Lady Grey," love and weddings are Summer Watkins's game. But that doesn't mean planning her own celebration was all smooth sailing for the blogger behind Grey Likes Weddings. In fact, she cites shopping for her gown as one of the most overwhelming aspects. Following the process (ultimately, designer Kirstie Kelly custom-made her strapless dress), she shared her advice for other brides-to-be. Here, her words of wisdom.
1. Know Your Body Shape
"When picking your dress, knowing what looks great on you makes the process of elimination must less stressful," Watkins says.
2. Attend Shows
"If you have a designer you love, take advantage of trunk shows!" Watkins advises. "You can meet the designer (or someone who works with them), try on dresses from the entire collection, and oftentimes get some sort of incentive, like a complimentary veil or small discount."
3. Start From Scratch
"For a more custom gown, find a designer you can work with directly," says Watkins, who hired Kirstie Kelly. "It was so much fun to feel collaborative!"
4. Remember to Get a Memento
If you get to meet your designer, ask for a sketch of your gown. "What a fun and sentimental keepsake!" Watkins says.
5. Keep It Fun
And last but not least, invite a bridesmaid or family member to join you in your search for a dress. "Make an afternoon of the excursions with a fun ladies' lunch," Watkins says.
- In the New "Spencer" Trailer, We Get Our First Glimpse of Kristen Stewart in Princess Diana's Wedding Dress
- This Couple Released Butterflies During Their Secret Garden-Themed Ceremony
- Experts Share Their Favorite Cocktail Hour Games and Activities for Your Wedding Day
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Are Coming to New York City This Weekend