19 Things You Didn't Know About Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick
Happy 19th Anniversary to Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick! The happily married couple and parents to son James and twin girls Marion and Tabitha, tied the knot in a civil ceremony on May 19th, 1997, 19 years ago today. In honor of this obviously momentous occasion, we've rounded up 19 fun facts about the couple.
1. They married in a historic synagogue in the Lower East Side of NYC.
2. Prior to Parker's iconic portrayal of Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and the City and Broderick's many musical roles, they both starred in classic '80s movies: Broderick in Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Parker in Girls Just Want to Have Fun.
3. They're both New Yorkers through and through-they've lived in their West Village apartment for almost 15 years, and Parker has said she couldn't imagine living anywhere else.
4. But the couple also has a home in County Donegal, Ireland where Broderick spent his summers growing up.
5. Their son, James Wilkie, was named after Broderick's father, James, and Wilkie Collins, one of their favorite authors.
6. Their daughters were delivered via surrogate.
7. Parker wore a black dress with teal velvet Robert Clergerie shoes for their wedding (how very Carrie of her).
8. But she's said in many interviews that she regrets the black choice, and wishes she had gone with a classic white. "Now I would want my dress to have an Oscar de la Renta feel, pockets below the waist, a very fitted bodice, a huge skirt, in taffeta or duchesse satin," SJP told us in her cover interview for our 2015 summer issue. "That silhouette appeals to me because it's old-fashioned yet can look very modern."
9. In addition to her "something blue" shoes, Parker carried a few other auspicious tokens down the aisle. "I borrowed a handkerchief, someone gave me an old coin, and the dress was new, so I covered all my bases."
10. Parker's favorite flowers are gardenias and lily of the valley because they were her mother's favorites.
11. They're both theater buffs.
12. In fact, they met when her brother starred in an off-Broadway play directed by Broderick.
13. In 1995, they co-starred in the classic Broadway show How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, for which Broderick won his second Tony Award.
14. The couple walked the red carpet together for the premiere of Broadway's Hamilton.
15. Parker has starred in five Broadway productions, while Broderick has done a whopping 13.
16. Parker credits keeping their private life private as the secret to their long-lasting marriage.
17. Broderick adds that it's because they are "friends beyond everything else."
18. Broderick recently starred as the male lead in the Broadway play Sylvia, the same play that Parker starred in as the female lead when it first opened in 1995.
19. Ferris Bueller and Carrie Bradshaw would make an amazing couple (okay fine, maybe this isn't a fact, but still totally fun to imagine).
- A Modern, Black-and-White-Themed Ranch Wedding in California's Wine Country
- Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker Got Married Again—Here's a Recap of Their Italian Wedding Weekend
- This Couple Traded Their Original Wedding Venue—Central Park's Boathouse—for the Bride's Childhood Home in Illinois
- These Are 20 of the Best Bridal Shower Favors Under $10