Pop-Up Paper Cake Decorations
Tools and Materials
1 "Leaf" honeycomb-paper garland
5-inch Westminster honeycomb-paper bells in two colors, cardboard backing removed
(we used 7 in ivory and 6 in hot pink)
2 9-inch Westminster bells in 2 colors, cardboard backing removed (we used pale-pink and rose-pink bells)
Royal icing (apply with a pastry bag and tip)
Pop-Up Paper Cake Decorations How-To
1. For the topper: Cut about 12 inches of garland. Open like a book and place on top of your cake. Secure to the top with royal icing.
2. For the top tier: Diagonally snip off the "toe" of a 5-inch bell (it looks like a boot when it's still unopened) with a pair of scissors. Pull open the toe piece and wrap around the tier. Join ends together with double-sided tape.
3. For the second tier from top: For each fan, cut a 5-inch bell into three pieces (see photo) and discard the top and bottom. Open remaining middle piece like a book to create a fanlike shape. Apply a piece of clear tape to the bottom of the fan so it will stay open. Attach the fan to the cake with royal icing. Continue making fans until you have enough to encircle the entire cake tier.
4. For the third tier from top: Using a 9-inch bell, cut off the bottom tip using a curved line. Discard the larger piece of the bell, and wrap the remaining piece of the bell around the tier. Secure the ends together with double-sided tape. You will probably need two bells to surround this tier; secure the ends of the strips together with double-sided tape.
5. For the fourth tier from top: As you did when making the top-tier decoration, diagonally snip off the toe of a 5-inch bell with a pair of scissors. Pull open the toe piece and wrap around the tier. Join the ends together with double-sided tape. You may need 2 bells to get enough to wrap around this large tier; join their ends with double-sided tape.
6. For the bottom tier: Cut into the middle of a 9-inch bell, cutting approximately one-third of the way across the bell; turn scissors downward, at a right angle, and cut to the bottom of the bell. Open the piece, wrap it around the tier, and join the ends with double-sided tape. You will need 2 bells to surround this large tier; join the ends of the strips with double-sided tape.
- Scarlett Johansson Opened Up About the True Value of "Intimate" and "Intentional" Micro Weddings
- A Private Colorado Ranch in the Mountains Set the Scene for This Couple's Self-Officiated Vow Exchange
- Wedding Experts Say These Are the Most Important Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Start Touring Venues
- Everything You Need to Know About Chair Yoga, Including Some of the Best Poses to Try