A Creative Escort Card Display Idea: XO Marks Your Spot
It's amazing what a coat of paint and some ribbon can do to just about anything!
This escort card display is so easy to make and can be used in many different ways. We love the idea of creating it for your wedding and then reusing it for your anniversary. It can also be great for your bridal shower or an upcoming birthday. But the best part about this DIY? You can completely change the style based on the colors you choose.
The one we created feels preppy but swap the blue-and-white ribbons for neon colors and you've got a seriously playful display. Or add metallic ribbons for something more luxurious. And don't need to be a DIY guru for this project either; a few quick and easy steps and you can check escort cards off your list! The hardest part is coming up with your guest list, but hey-that needs to happen either way.
1. To get started you will first need a pegboard, available at any hardware store such as Lowe's, Home Depot, or Sears. If you are having a large wedding, don't worry, they sell these in many different sizes or you can use two and place them next to each other.
2. We recommend spray paint for this project as regular paint can drip into the holes and block the passageway for the ribbons. Remember to shake your spray can often while applying and to hold the can a good distance from the board to avoid clumping and drips. Dry times vary by product, so be sure to check the can label for specific dry time.
3. Once fully dry, pick two different color ribbons (make sure they are thin enough to easily thread through the holes of the pegboard), shoelace string can be used as well. Be sure to choose a sturdy ribbon that will not fray while threading. A good trick is to tape the end of the ribbon or tie it to a sewing needle to swiftly feed the string through the holes and save time/frustration.
4. Then, map out your grid. We left three rows of space on each side of our board and two rows from the bottom. The top will depend on how big you print your "XO MARKS YOUR SPOT" clip art banner but it's important to take note of this before you begin threading. Place colored tape in the corners of your grid, as it is easy to lose track while threading. Start with the Xs as you can thread from the top left corners straight through to the bottom right corners and vise versa. You will need more string for the Os and, again, you can thread straight from left to right and top to bottom.
5. Download our template for the escort cards, print, and using a circle punch, punch each name out. Tuck each card behind the ribbons (tip: do this once the boards are placed in their permanent position to avoid fly away cards) in alphabetical order and voila! Guests will be ooing and ahhing over your Xs and Os.
- In the New "Spencer" Trailer, We Get Our First Glimpse of Kristen Stewart in Princess Diana's Wedding Dress
- This Couple Released Butterflies During Their Secret Garden-Themed Ceremony
- Experts Share Their Favorite Cocktail Hour Games and Activities for Your Wedding Day
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Are Coming to New York City This Weekend