Sheer Delight Hanging Fabric Lanterns
- 1 yard sheer fabric
- 1 yard patterned fabric
- Needle and thread
- 12-inch embroidery hoop
- Masking tape
- Wooden dowel
- Embroidery floss
- 1 1/2-yards-long ribbon
1. Cut two panels from each fabric: 19 1/2-by-31 inches of sheer and 19 1/2-by-32 inches of patterned. With right sides facing one another, sew fabrics together on the short sides, leaving a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Repeat with second panel.
2. Fold panel at stitch line, so "wrong sides" of fabric are facing; iron flat. Stitch a seam 3/4 inches from the edge to create a channel. Repeat for second panel.
3. On patterned piece of panel only, measure 14 1/2 inches down from the channel, and fold fabric with right sides facing. Iron flat, pin, and sew a seam 3/4 inch down from edge to create a second channel. Repeat for second panel.
4. Use the pliers to remove the metal closure from the outer embroidery hoop. Cut the inner hoop in half. If needed, slightly sand the edges so they don't snag the fabric. Thread the larger hoop through the top channel of both panels so that the sheer fabric faces the outside of the hoop. Thread the smaller hoop through the lower channel of both panels, so that the pattern faces the outside.
5. Use masking tape to secure both hoops in a closed circle. Tie the wooden dowel to the underside of the top hoop with embroidery floss, leaving an inch overhang. Tie ribbon to both sides of the dowel overhang and have someone hold it while you gather and tie the fabric below the second hoop. Trim to desired length and hang.
Left lantern: Striped cotton, L732, $17/yd; nyelegant.com. Indian cotton voile in peach, #74484472, $10/yd; bandjfabrics.com. Middle lantern: Floral cotton, $10/yd; nyelegant.com. Orange dot flocked tulle, $43/yd; bandjfabrics.com. Right lantern: Liberty cotton in pink; $45/yd, nyelegant.com. Indian cotton voile in cream, #74515672, $10/yd; bandjfabrics.com.
- 10 Items You Need to Pack in Your Wedding Dress Emergency Kit
- Kate Middleton and Prince William's Wedding Day Was an Emotional Highlight for Queen Elizabeth—Here's Why
- Arcade Games, Tarot Cards, and Cotton Candy Put a Festive Spin on This Couple's Wedding in Austin, Texas
- A Guide to the Most Popular Wedding Veil Lengths, Fabrics, and Colors