Grilled Zucchini with Buttermilk-Basil Dressing
The dressing turns the grilled squash into a warm salad. This can be served with flank steak or pasta.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Petrina Tinslay
Source: Everyday Food, June 2011
- 5 tablespoons buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup coarsely grated Parmesan
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 medium zucchini or yellow squash (or a combination), halved and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
Heat a grill or grill pan over high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. In a small measuring cup, combine buttermilk and 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil with white-wine vinegar. In a food processor, combine garlic, basil, and Parmesan and process until basil is finely chopped. Season with salt and pepper. With machine running, add buttermilk mixture in a slow, steady stream and process until dressing is smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Toss zucchini with remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill zucchini (in batches if necessary) until lightly charred and tender, 4 to 6 minutes, flipping once. Transfer to a serving plate and drizzle with dressing.