This simple flatbread is a lifesaver for anyone who needs to get wholesome food on the table fast. It's good for so much more than just wraps, and can easily go in a sweet or savory direction.
When you sink your teeth into a soft pita topped with hummus or wrapped around kebabs, you are tasting the bread of antiquity, one that has remained a staple throughout the Mediterranean and Middle East. Today, it's also available at any U.S. supermarket; the standard size is about 7 inches, though smaller ones are perfect for snacking. Some pitas have a pocket in the middle (created by steam during baking), making them ideal for sandwich fillings.
Quick Ideas for Pita
- Make mini pizzas with tomato sauce and your favorite toppings; bake.
- Split pitas and fill with cheese. Cook in a skillet until cheese is melted.
- Turn stale pitas into breadcrumbs.
- Stuff with scrambled eggs, cheese, and salsa for breakfast to go.
- Make chips: Cut into wedges, toss with oil and seasonings, and bake.
Recipes to Try