For a crop of "mushrooms" in realistic hues, we tinted some of the meringue with varying amounts of cocoa. Use these to create our Frosted Fruitcake or our Meringue Mushrooms Wedding Cake.




  • Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Divide meringue among three small bowls. Set one aside. Fold 1 tablespoon cocoa into the second portion, and 2 tablespoons cocoa into the third portion. Place each portion in an 18-inch pastry bag fitted with a large round 1/2-inch tip. Pipe domes, 1/2 inch to 2 inches in diameter, onto prepared baking sheets, and flatten the tips with a damp forefinger. Pipe stems onto baking sheets, making one to go with each "cap."

  • Bake the meringue shapes in the upper and lower thirds of the oven, rotating baking sheets halfway through, 1 hour; reduce oven temperature to 175 degrees. Continue baking until completely dry to the touch but not browned, 45 to 60 minutes.

  • Melt bittersweet chocolate in a small heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally. Using a small offset spatula, spread bottoms of caps with a thin layer of dark chocolate, and let set. Melt white chocolate in another heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Let cool until thickened, and spread over dark chocolate. Use a toothpick to draw lines through the chocolate from the center to edge of caps; let set.

  • Using a paring knife, make a small hole in center of each coated cap. Dip one end of each stem in remaining white chocolate, and insert into a hole; let set.

Cook's Notes

Store in airtight containers in a cool, dry place up to 1 week.

Reviews (1)

12 Ratings
  • 5 star values: 3
  • 4 star values: 5
  • 3 star values: 4
  • 2 star values: 0
  • 1 star values: 0
Rating: Unrated
I made these for a party last weekend and they were a hit! Although they take time to make, it's certainly worthwhile when you see your guests' reactions. I made two adjustments to the recipe: 1) instead of dividing the meringue, I folded 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder into the entire batch, and 2) instead of making a small [filtered] in the caps, I cut the top off of each stem. This provided a much better fit, and removed the possibility of chipping off those precious gills!