New This Month


These homemade versions of a favorite snack food are filled with healthy fruit and nuts and are very simple to make.

Source: Everyday Food, September 2004
Total Time Prep Yield



Cook's Notes

Make sure your oven is calibrated properly: the oven temperature for this recipe is 300 degrees to prevent the bars from browning before they are cooked through. (If your oven was too hot, that could account for the bars turning out dark).

Similar Recipes


How would you rate this recipe?
  • sarazoll91352
    28 AUG, 2017
    Mine also came out very moist, fell apart when I tried to cut them, very tasty but will not be able to go into the lunch box, it just won't make it. Any suggestions on how to firm this up? Thank you...
  • SophieL41448
    12 MAY, 2017
    These turned out to be a nice energy bar snack and easy to make. I mixed chopped dried figs and chopped hazelnuts with the rolled oats and subbed Penzey's Pie [filtered]e for the cinnamon (Penzey's Pie [filtered]e and Cake [filtered]e are my go-to for most recipes calling for cinnamon - so much more complex). I also used almond butter. The mixture didn't really set as firm as in Sarah's video and was crumbly; maybe I'll bake a little longer next time. I also like the idea of adding a little vanilla.
  • weinio
    8 SEP, 2014
    I have made these peanut butter granola bars for a long time. I just read other reviews that say goopy and didn't set. I admit that I always add flaxseed meal and wheat germ which would impact the liquid. I say if anything use more slice almonds, more dried fruit(really good with mixed dried fruit ie dried blueberries, dried cherries, apricots and cranberries. So I end up with much more than 1/2 c of dried fruit. I also add a good quality vanilla & good quality orange extract.
  • hjkim
    14 FEB, 2013
    Mine came out very very greasy. I should have omitted the vegetable oil. Furthermore, it was very crumbly. I could almost shape the bar into another shape. The taste was not bad. But it was not the best one at all. I don't recommend this recipe. You better find out another one.
  • SophieL41448
    28 JAN, 2013
    My batter was not goopy or wet and baked up nice and slightly chewy. I used almond butter and made sure I really stirred in the oil that had separated in the jar. The office gang loved it.
  • MS10790154
    26 JAN, 2013
    I had the same goop problem. They never set. I followed the recipe exactly.
  • jmacc1848106
    20 APR, 2012
    I have made these a couple of times, and they are always a big hit.
  • kiaaura
    10 JUL, 2011
    I followed this recipe exactly but it didn't turn out well for me at all. The mix was too wet and never set. The end result was a really goopy, saucy pan.
  • petuniaswhimsy
    15 MAR, 2011
    The following is per bar if you make 16 bars found on Calories 114Calories from Fat 73 % Daily Value* Total Fat 8.1g12% Saturated Fat 1.4g7% Trans Fat 0.0g Cholesterol 0mg0% Sodium 45mg2% Total Carbohydrates 7.9g3% Dietary Fiber 1.2g5% Sugars 5.2g Protein 3.5g Vitamin A 1% • Vitamin C 1% Calcium 2% • Iron 4%
  • CarmelinaCAN
    23 JAN, 2011

I'm in the mood for:

  • breakfast
  • lunch
  • dinner
  • dessert
  • an appetizer
  • a cocktail
{{secDropdownPreword}} {{secDropdownTitle}}
  • that's eggy
  • that's fruity
  • that's hearty
  • that's healthy
  • that's simple
  • that's a smoothie
  • that's a casserole
  • that's off the beaten path
  • that's light
  • that's packable
  • that's speedy
  • that's warming
  • that's kid-friendly
  • that's comforting
  • that's quick
  • that's healthy
  • that's a sunday dinner classic
  • that's vegetarian
  • that's seasonal
  • that's chocolaty
  • that's an american classic
  • that's easy
  • that's fruity
  • that's salty and sweet
  • that's over the top
  • that's crowd pleasing
  • that's simple
  • that's for a cocktail party
  • that's a dip or spread
  • that's healthy
  • that's cheesy
  • that's shaken not stirred
  • that's bubbily
  • that's good for a crowd
  • that's ideal for brunch
  • that's seasonal
  • that's simple
  • that's artisanal
See Recipes