Banana-Apple Puddings with Toasted Almonds
Potassium may prevent high blood pressure; these puddings are packed with bananas, an excellent source, and topped with almonds.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2006
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 pounds Golden Delicious apples (about 3), peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 4 ripe bananas (about 8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
Bring 3/4 cup water and the sugar to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in lemon zest and juice. Add apples; return to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, about 5 minutes. Add tapioca, and cook, stirring, until fully combined and slightly thickened, about 4 minutes. Let cool completely.
Transfer apple mixture to a food processor. Add 3 bananas, and process until smooth. Stir in yogurt. Divide among 6 bowls. Chill, if desired. Cut remaining banana into 1/4-inch pieces, and divide among puddings. Sprinkle each pudding with 2 teaspoons almonds.