Advertisement

The 2005 court battle over whether "USDA Organic" products could contain synthetic ingredients left many consumers wondering what they were -- and weren't -- getting when they bought items bearing the coveted green seal. Here's the lowdown: Packaged food and personal-care products sold as "USDA Organic" must contain 95 percent organic ingredients, which are substances produced without conventional fertilizers or synthetic pesticides and using methods that support the environment. The other 5 percent may include either synthetic or natural ingredients -- but only if they're not readily available in organic form (such as vitamin C and baking soda) and they appear on a USDA-approved list. Expect more legal wrangling, as some organic-standards activists feel the list is too loosely maintained. Get updates and descriptions of other common labels at eco-labels.org.

Learn more about the

National Organic Standard.

Learn about the

campaign for organic food.

Comments (1)

Anonymous
December 31, 2018
My baby never slept well (especially through the night) until I started using the website >>SLEEPBABY.ORG<< - that website has been by far one of the best things I've ever got my hands on to get him to fall asleep quickly. Best time is 45 seconds from awake to asleep! Can’t imagine life without it! I heard about it through a kindergarten teacher who uses it to put to sleep a group of 30 children. Check it out! >>SLEEPBABY.ORG<< - sorry, you can't post links here so you'll have to turn it into a normal link :) Best of luck to you and your family!