Looking for a healthy, energy-boosting breakfast? Try this antioxidant-packed berry smoothie.
When nutritionists talk about anti-aging foods, they're referring to foods that help prevent conditions such as osteoporosis, inflammation, and cancer. This smoothie is loaded with long-term-health boosters. The berries and green tea are potent sources of antioxidants, and the ground flaxseed is full of inflammation-fighting omega-3s. It also contains yogurt, a source of bone-strengthening calcium and immune-supporting probiotics. Blend it for breakfast, and the vitamins, protein, and fiber will provide lasting energy for whatever comes your way.
Makes one 14-ounce smoothie
1/2 cup frozen organic blueberries
1/2 cup frozen organic strawberries
1/2 cup chilled green tea, unsweetened
3/4 cup plain low-fat organic yogurt
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
Turbinado sugar or other natural sweetener to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in an electric blender and blend on medium speed until smooth, about 20 seconds. Garnish with fresh berries and serve. Note: For a nondairy alternative, you can substitute cultured soy for the yogurt.
Supplements can give your smoothie even more rejuvenating benefits. Add any of these, or try all four.
1. Lecithin can increase your body's acetylcholine levels, helping to guard against memory loss. Try adding 1 to 2 grams (1 to 2 level tablespoons) of granular or liquid lecithin.
2. Vitamin E can nourish the skin, help maintain healthy cholesterol levels, and ease symptoms of perimenopause. Add 400 IU of vitamin E or 80 mg of tocopherols and tocotrienols. Squeeze gelcaps to release liquid into the smoothie.
3. Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant and immune booster. Try adding 200 mg of powdered vitamin C or crushed chewable vitamin C tablets.
4. Astragalus root helps ward off bacterial and viral infections to boost immunity -- a must if you're tired or stressed. Use 200 to 400 mg (or 1 to 2 teaspoons of alcohol-free extract) daily.