Source: The Martha Stewart Show, April 2007
This fun and functional tablecloth is the perfect addition to a children's party.
Tools and Materials
Flat latex interior paint
Unsanded white tile grout
Drill with mixer attachment
Pre-primed canvas cut to size of table
Sponge and water
Chalkboard Paint How-To
1. Choose a paint color that contrasts with chalk. To a quart of flat latex interior paint, add 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) of unsanded white tile grout.
2. Mix with a drill and mixer attachment for about 15 to 20 seconds.
Chalkboard Tablecloth How-To
1. Unroll pre-primed canvas. If you'd like, you can prep the canvas with 2 coats of latex interior paint.
2. Tape outline of chalkboard area.
3. Paint chalkboard area with paint. Keep the first coat thin, so it won't seep under the tape. Apply 2 or 3 coats of paint, letting the paint dry for at least 30 minutes between coats.
4. Remove tape outline. Sand surface of chalkboard to help smooth the writing surface. Coat surface with thin layer of chalk. Wipe clean with wet sponge.
5. Once the tablecloth has been used, you can spray the tablecloth with fixative to preserve your design.
All of the materials used in this craft can be found at your local crafts store. Visit www.dickblick.com to purchase the canvas used in this craft.