Chic & Sleek Baby Shower
Source: Martha Stewart Weddings, 2001
Plan an all-white shower to honor the bride-to-be. Decorate with white sweet peas and let white balloons and streamers dangle overhead; encourage guests to bring snowy wrapped gifts. Use graceful calla lilies in tall vases to set the style of the buffet, where glass and porcelain dishes frame a selection of pale finger foods: creamy cheeses, icy sugared almonds, coconut sorbets, bite-size chicken sandwiches, and a platter of white crudites. A tiered cake with graceful icing makes an elegant (and tasty) centerpiece.
- Create a white heart from paper roses glued onto foam-core board; flank it with the first initials of the bride-and-groom-to-be.
- Serve all-white finger food in keeping with the theme, such as sandwiches, heart-shape cheeses, iced cookies, candied grapes, meringues, and dragees.
- Line a windowsill with sweet peas in white mini vases; later, they can serve as party favors for the guests.
Put together an assortment of pale crudites, including cauliflower, white asparagus, endive, and celery. The creamy dip is served with a white spoon.
- Serve heart-shape petits fours decorated with the bride and groom's initials to make the party even more personal.
- Arrange elegant Calla lilies in a glass vase to enhance the feeling of airiness
- Play off pale and pastel in glass dishes -- display candied green grapes and cakes sprinkled with confectioners' sugar in a two-tier stand on the buffet table.
- Serve scoops of coconut sorbet in paper cups with silver demitasse spoons. Rubber-stamp white paper strips, notched at both ends, with the bride and grooms' initials and lay between the cups and saucers.
- Add a whimsical touch on the straws served with the tall glasses of iced lemonade with flags announcing "I do!"
- Present each shower guest with a miniature white-chocolate cake in a white box with the bride's initial, cut out from ivory paper, on the lid.
-Set out a flurry of sweets in white dishes, such as white chocolate candy, white rock candy, truffles, chocolate-filled heart-shape dragees, marshmallows, and candied coconut.