Q: My aunt has said that she has demitasse after a meal. What exactly is it?

--Patricia Lochrane, Marysville, PA

Literally translated from French, the word demitasse means "half cup." The term can refer to a very small cup in which strong black coffee is served or to the coffee itself. In the United States, the coffee that is poured into the demitasse cup is called espresso and is ordered by that name. The espresso coffee bean is a darker roast and is ground more finely than the bean used to make standard American coffee.

Comments (2)

Martha Stewart Member
January 6, 2019
My baby never slept well (especially through the night) until I started using the website >>SLEEPBABY.ORG<< - that website has been by far one of the best things I've ever got my hands on to get him to fall asleep quickly. Best time is 45 seconds from awake to asleep! Can’t imagine life without it! I heard about it through a kindergarten teacher who uses it to put to sleep a group of 30 children. Check it out! >>SLEEPBABY.ORG<< - sorry, you can't post links here so you'll have to turn it into a normal link :) Best of luck to you and your family!
Martha Stewart Member
February 13, 2018
Thank you for explaining what the word meant. My parents spent many years collecting stunning Art Deco Demitasse. I had no idea it meant "half cup". Best wishes, Charis Boissevain