Matching Memory Game Craft
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, January 2010
This colorful memory game is sure to keep the kids entertained for hours. It makes a great gift packaged in a custom holding case.
Tools and Materials
- 24 wooden tiles
- Coarse-grit sandpaper
- Decorative paper
- Paper trimmer or ruler and craft knife
- Martha Stewart Crafts decoupage
- Bone folder
- Craft punch
Matching Memory Game How-To
1. Smooth any rough edges on wooden tiles with coarse-grit sandpaper.
2. Cut twenty-four 1 7/8-inch square pieces of decorative paper.
3. On one side of each wooden tile, apply a thin coat of decoupage glue with a paintbrush. Place the paper on the glue and use a bone folder to smooth out any bubbles or curls. Set aside and let dry for about 10 minutes.
4. With a craft punch, punch shapes from different colored papers. You will need to punch two shapes from each color to create the pairs needed for the game. (Note: The cupcake and ice cream cone punches used on "The Martha Stewart Show" have two parts, so colors of tops and bottoms can be mixed up as long as each pair is identical.)
5. With a paintbrush, lightly coat the other side of a tile with Martha Stewart Crafts decoupage glue. Use the tip of a paintbrush to pick up a punched shape and place it on the tile. Lightly brush the shape down with paintbrush. Once secured in place, paint over the whole side with more of the gel. Set aside to dry. Repeat to create 12 pairs of matching tiles.
6. If desired, an additional 2 to 3 coats of decoupage glue can be applied over the whole piece for protection.
Playing the Game (1-4 Players)
Lay all pieces with paper squares facing up. Take turns turning two tiles over at a time. If the colors on the two tiles match, the player removes and keeps them. If the two tiles don't match, the player turns the tiles back over. This continues until all pieces are cleared. In a multiple-player game, the player with the most tiles wins.
Pack of 25 wooden tiles available from Woodworks. Cupcake and ice cream cone craft punches, decorative 12-by-12 paper pad, decoupage glue, paper trimmer, and bone folder available from Martha Stewart Crafts.