Making Play Dough with Kids
The formula for the original Play-Doh, invented in 1956, remains top secret. But you can make your own version of play dough that's just as much fun to make as it is to play with. This recipe makes 3 1/2 cups of dough.
Tools and Materials
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 cups cold water
Plastic bag or container
Play Dough How-To
1. In a medium saucepan, mix together the flour, salt, vegetable oil, cream of tartar, and water.
2. Cook uncovered over medium heat, about 5 minutes. Stir constantly until the dough is the consistency of mashed potatoes.
3. Divide the dough into four equal portions.
4. Add approximately 6 to 8 drops of food coloring to each portion and knead the color into the dough to distribute it evenly. Kneading the color into the dough is the fun part -- kids will love it.
5. If you store the play dough in a plastic bag or airtight container, it will stay nice and soft and last for years.