Have You Mastered All of These Household Skills?
If not, don't fret! Martha is here to help.
Do you know how to sew a button on a shirt? What about setting the table properly or removing a stain from your favorite jacket? As a Martha fan, of course you do. You may be surprised, though, that you're much more likely to know how to do these things already if you aren't a millennial. At least, that's the conclusion drawn from a new study from the United Kingdom.
The poll of 2,000 adults was commissioned by UK-based healthcare group Bupa. The survey asked individuals over the age of 55 and millennials to state whether they felt confident performing specific household tasks such as how to repair clothes, identify plants and flowers, or make jam (some of our specialties). And where do they turn when they don't know the answer? You probably aren't surprised: a whopping 81 percent of respondents ask the internet for help first. Subsequently, one in four respondents ask friends or older relatives, and one in five of them open a book. Overall, 87 percent of all adults (at all ages) wished they knew more practical skills
Of course, these skills are necessary at any age. They aren't hard to learn, and they help to improve your life a little each day. To stay on the safe side, we've listed a number of skills here with comparisons on how many respondents 55 years old or older report confidence in compare to millennials. Do a quick evaluation of yourself. How many of these tasks can you complete confidently-and how many will you learn in your spare time this week?
- How to manage money (86% versus 52%)
- How to iron a shirt (84% versus 51%)
- How to sew on a button (81% versus 41%)
- How to polish shoes (77% versus 28%)
- How to use cutlery in the right order (77% versus 39%)
- How to write a formal letter (77% versus 43%)
- How to wire a plug (73% versus 21%)
- How to set a table properly (70% versus 39%)
- How to garden (66% versus 22%)
- How long fresh foods will stay edible (63% versus 28%)
- How to treat a burn (62% versus 32%)
- How to get stains out of clothes (58% versus 31%)
- The names of different birds (48% versus 17%)
- How to repair worn or broken clothing (47% versus 17%)
- How to tie a sling or bandage (45% versus 18%)
- How to administer first aid (43% versus 30%)
- How to change a car tire (43% versus 24%)
- How to make a cake without following a recipe (43% versus 27%)
- How to identify plants and flowers by name (37% versus 13%)
- How to arrange flowers (34% versus 16%)
- How to make marmalade or jam (31% versus 16%)
- How to crochet (23% versus 4%)
Feeling inspired? Watch how to assemble a handy sewing kit in a jar: