Sweet Potato Home Fries
Swapping out the usual spuds for sweet potatoes gives this classic breakfast side dish a healthy boost. Jalapeno adds just the right amount of heat.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 cups; Serves 4 to 6
Photography: Bryan Gardner
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3), scrubbed and chopped into 3/4-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded if desired, and thinly sliced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 sprigs thyme
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss sweet potatoes with oil and 1/4 teaspoon paprika; season with salt and pepper. Roast, rotating sheet and flipping potatoes halfway through, until browned, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter on medium-high. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and golden, about 10 minutes.
Add roasted sweet potatoes to skillet with vegetables. Toss with remaining 1/4 teaspoon paprika, then strip the leaves from thyme sprigs into skillet; stir to combine. Check seasoning; serve immediately.