Creamy Broccoli-Spinach Dip
A classic dip gets a wake-up call when fresh broccoli florets are swapped in for canned artichokes. And since this version is served at room temperature, you don't even have to turn on the oven!
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 2 1/2 cups
Photography: Julia Gartland
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2017
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (from 1 clove)
- 12 ounces small broccoli florets (about 5 cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 packed cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plus 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh basil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Rye crispbread, for serving
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Saute garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli, a pinch of salt, and 2 tablespoons water; toss to combine and cook, covered, until broccoli is bright green and tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add spinach to skillet, cover, and cook until just wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer vegetables to a colander set over a plate. Let cool completely, then press out excess liquid with a spoon.
Coarsely chop broccoli and spinach, then add to a bowl with ricotta, lemon zest and juice, basil, and Parmesan.
Stir to combine; season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature with rye crispbread, or store in refrigerator, covered, up to 3 days.