Indian lime pickles play up the sweetness of the carrots and add a little heat to this riff on raita.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 3 1/2 cups
Photography: Julia Gartland
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2017
- 1 1/2 cups shredded peeled carrots (from 2)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus leaves for serving
- 1 tablespoon chopped Indian lime pickles, plus oil for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups whole-milk or 2-percent Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated garlic (from 1 small clove)
- Chopped pistachios and papadum flatbreads, for serving
Combine carrots, cumin, oil, vinegar, cilantro, and Indian pickles in a small bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in another bowl, mix together yogurt and garlic. Season with salt and refrigerate, covered, up to 1 day.
Spread yogurt mixture onto a serving plate, then spoon marinated carrots on top, leaving behind any accumulated liquid. Garnish with pistachios, cilantro leaves, and a drizzle of oil from the pickle jar. Serve with papadums.