This funky skunk is super simple: A hoodie, faux fur, a fluffy white feather boa, and a little armature wire add up to the sweetest little stinker in town.
Photography: CHELSEA CAVANAUGH
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2017
- Armature wire (Pictured: Ook aluminum hobby wire, $5.50 for 50 ft., michaels.com)
- Wire cutter
- Black faux fur (Pictured: Shannon luxury faux fur, in Monster Black, $39 per yd., fabric.com.)
- Fabric glue
- 2 white feather boas (Pictured: FeatherStore marabou feather boa, 72 inches, in White, $8 each, amazon.com.)
- Black hoodie and pants (Pictured: Primary The Legging, in Black, $14; and The Hoodie, in Black, $20, primary.com.)
- Safety pins
- Black felt (Pictured: Plush felt, 45 inches, in Jet Black, for ears, fabric.com.)
- White faux fur (Pictured: $8 per yd.; and faux fur, in Weasel White, $12.50 per yd., fabric.com.)
Make tail: Cut wire to length of hoodie and form a narrow loop. Cut black fur to fit wire, fold over wire, and glue edges together. Cut a strip of boa to fit on top of tail; attach with glue. Bend tail into an S shape and pin onto hem of hoodie or waistband of pants.
Add stripe and ears: Double the second boa, and pin looped end onto hood at top and bottom, using fabric glue to attach in between. Let trailing ends split down the back. For the ears, cut black felt into tombstone shapes, bend into a C shape, and glue edges onto hood.
Make belly: Cut white faux fur into a tombstone shape, cut it in half, and glue each half onto either side of zipper.