Using a skewer instead of a toothpick instantly upgrades these no-cook hors d’oeuvres, all of which are a snap to assemble from ingredients straight out of the fridge or pantry. Try any of our combinations, below, or come up with some of your own. Improvise with ingredients you have on hand. Or be inspired by your favorite cuisines. For a party-worthy platter, consider not just flavor, but also color and texture. Set the pieces in a graphic pattern on a dish pretty enough for passing.
How They Stack Up
From top to bottom:
1. A small mint leaf, a piece of marinated artichoke heart, and a dusting of salty Pecorino Romano cheese.
2. One green grape, some Spanish manchego cheese, and spicy chorizo.
3. A garden-fresh trio of watermelon, basil, and cherry tomato brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt.
4. Jalapeno, avocado, and a strip of jicama, doused with a squeeze of lime.
5. Bocconcini three ways, all drizzled with olive oil: Rolled in red-pepper flakes, wrapped with an anchovy fillet, and sprinkled with lemon zest.
6. Half a caper berry, roasted red pepper, and a crouton rubbed with sweet pimentón (smoky paprika) and olive oil.
7. Sweet red pepper, such as Peppadew, stuffed with goat cheese and oregano.
8. Feta cheese, half a yellow pear tomato, a chunk of cucumber, and a Kalamata olive.
9. A cube of rustic bread and a mint leaf (basil works, too) wrapped with thinly sliced prosciutto.
10. Cantaloupe and cucumber pieces with sea salt, lime zest, and cracked black pepper.