Although your kids might happily stay outside in the snow until their lips turn blue, entice them inside with a cup of cocoa -- and an edible snowman. With a handful of ingredients and minimal effort, you can up hot chocolate's cute factor in a flash -- just follow our six simple steps.
- Sanding sugar
- Cookie cutters
- Piping tip
1. To make the body, use a knife to cut one marshmallow in half crosswise. Cut a circle from one half with a 1-inch round cutter; and a circle from the other half with a 1 1/4-inch round cutter (warm the cutters first in hot water, and dry).
2. Trim the body-circle so the head-circle nestles in tight. Roll each piece in sanding sugar.
3. For the hat, cut another marshmallow crosswise into thirds, and another crosswise into quarters. Cut one of the quarters with a warmed 1-inch cutter to make the brim, and cut a third with a warmed 1/2-inch frosting piping tip to make the hat's top.
4. For the scarf, cut thin strips from the remnants. Coat pieces and strips in red sanding sugar.
5. Thread marshmallows onto a skewer. Drape scarf pieces around neck, and cross at the front, pinching to stick.
6. Press in black sprinkles for eyes and buttons, and an orange one for the nose, poking spots first with a skewer to create holes.
Wool felt coaster, in Light Gray, by Parkhaus, canoeonline.net.
Nestled round plain cookie cutters, cookiecutter.com.