1. This relative of a style first offered in 1948 is family heirloom–worthy. It features luxe 18-karat gold and steel, state-of-the-art mechanics, and scratch-resistant crystal. Omega 38.5mm Seamaster Aqua Terra Master Co-Axial, $11,400, omegawatches.com.
2. A large, clean face and a soft neutral band embody the all-American spirit of function over flash. Timex 41mm Week- ender Fairfield with olive leather strap, $75, timex.com.
3. Its iconic shape and artful Roman numerals have signaled quiet luxury for nearly a century. Cartier Tank Louis Cartier watch in 18-karat yellow gold, leather, and sapphire, $9,850, cartier.com.
Watch Shopping 101
Three tips from Michael Sandler, senior vice president of merchandising and strategic planning at Tourneau:
Start with lifestyle
Yours, that is. “Think about where you’ll wear a watch: Do you want something dressy and elegant, or sporty?”
Set a budget
Decide between a short- or long-term purchase: “You can get a nice watch at any price point, but at the higher end, you’re paying for materials, like solid gold versus gold plating.” Additionally, the workmanship of the better Swiss timepieces and carefully crafted mechanical movement drive higher costs.
“Try on lots of shapes and colors to see what looks good on your wrist. One will speak to you, and you will fall in love.”
1. Sleek: Hand-set diamonds (four down each side) add subtle sparkle to a sophisticated rectangular face. Bulova Women’s stainless steel diamond watch with 8 stones and mother-of-pearl dial, $250, macys.com.
2. Versatille: The diamond-bezel face and two-tone band, plus Swiss- quartz precision, go with both silver and gold jewelry. TAG Heuer 27mm Aquaracer in stainless steel, gold, and diamonds, $5,700, tourneau.com.
3. High-Tech: Fashion-forward leather meets smartwatch cool in a chic wraparound style. Apple Watch stainless steel 38mm, $549; and Apple Watch Hermès Double Tour band, in Bleu Saphir, $490, apple.com.
4. Sporty: Water-resistant to 660 feet, this model features Swiss-made quartz movement and an understated matte-rubber strap. Victorinox Swiss Army 43mm I.N.O.X. Titanium watch, $595, swissarmy.com.
5. Casual: Its easy-to-read numbers and wide leather band have unisex appeal. (Jeans and book- ish glasses optional.) Hamilton 39mm Automatic Khaki Field stainless steel watch, $575, hamiltonwatch.com.
6. Business Class: For get-it-done professionals, this streamlined quartz piece (with Roman numerals and a date indicator) checks all the boxes. Baume & Mercier Classima stainless steel bracelet, $1,500, baume-et-mercier.com.
7. Feminine: A delicate chain-link bracelet and sweet oval face resemble jewelry, making this style ideal for evening. Citizen L in rose-gold-tone stainless steel, $325, citizenwatch.com.