Appliquéd Throw Pillows
Another reason to love removable throw-pillow covers: You can create any pattern imaginable with appliqués.
Photography: Marcus Smith
Source: Martha Stewart
- Trim (1), $25 a yd., Daytona Trimmings, 212-354-1713.
- Three-piece gold-embroidery plum flower cloth patches (2), $8.50 each, Lauren Trimming, 646-964-5734.
- Scrambled Eggs appliqués (3), $4 each, mjtrim.com
- Simple leaf trim (4), $6ayd., shinetrim.com
- Layered flower appliqué (5), $9.50, Lauren Trimming, 646-964-5734.
- Embroidered star appliqués (6), 1 1/2", $1.60 each, mjtrim.com
- Velvet pillow covers, from $30 each, potterybarn.com
- Silk pillow covers, $39 each, westelm.com
Arrange your appliqués in a desired layout.
For a high-traffic couch, use iron-ons. They're backed with glue to prevent raised edges that can catch on things. To prep hand iron, turn on to the hottest setting (avoid using steam) and work on a table or other hard, heat-resistant surface (not an ironing board, which has too much padding).
For extra insurance, add a couple of stitches where the pillows curve.