Vegan Spiced Red Fruit Tart Recipe (with Chocolate Crust!)
When making vegan tarts, you usually need to prebake the crust and then cook the filling separately before completing the tart; however, I was pleased to discover that this fruit tart recipe came together quickly and easily without those extra steps. The only fiddly part is pressing the crusts; once that's done all you need to do is mix the fruits and spices, and bake. If you're looking to make something delicious that won't have you breaking your New Year's resoltion, then please consider these. Want to add some decadence? A dollop of whipped cream or coconut yogurt will do the trick.
Amy Chaplin's Spiced Red Fruit Tart Recipe with Chocolate Crust
Makes 24 tartlets
- ½ cup rolled oats (use gluten free if you are gluten intolerant)
- ½ cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons melted extra virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1 ¾ cups frozen raspberries
- 1 ¾ cup frozen cherries, halved
- ¾ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 ½ teaspoons arrowroot powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch ground clove
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Zest of one orange
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened raspberry or cherry preserves
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup orange juice
How to Make the Crust:
1. Add oats and coconut to a food processor and grind until fine. Transfer to a medium bowl and add cocoa, brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, almond meal, and salt. Stir well then drizzle in coconut oil and mix until the flour is moistened. Add maple syrup and vanilla and stir until mixture comes together, it will be a little sticky. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line 2 standard muffin pans with paper liners. Thinly press about one rounded tablespoon into each muffin cup a little under halfway up each side. Set aside.
How to Make the Filling:
1. Add cranberries, raspberries, cherries, pomegranate seeds, arrowroot, spices, and orange zest to a medium bowl and stir well to combine.
2. In another small bowl combine preserves, maple syrup, and orange juice and stir until smooth. Add to cranberry mixture, stir to combine and distribute between tartlet shells.
3. Bake for 25 minutes, remove from oven and gently press any firm cranberries down into the filling so they cook in the juices. Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes more.
4. Remove and set aside to cool for 10 minutes then carefully lift out of pan with the edges of the paper liners.