12 Cozy Things to Do When Winter Has You Trapped Inside
It only takes one foreboding weather forecast to turn what should be a shimmering winter wonderland into a wasteland. This time of year, it's easy to be swept up in winter woes. Below-zero temperatures make the great outdoors less than inviting. Oh, and your car is buried under five feet of snow!
On days like these it's tempting to crank up the heat, pile on the blankets, and binge on Netflix. But if you find yourself languishing, here are a few ideas to combat your cabin fever.
1. Try a new recipe. One that you would never otherwise even dream of making. Might we suggest a beautifully browned soufflé? Flavored with tangerine, milk chocolate, or cheese-and-kale? (Trust us when we say, it's easier than it looks.)
2. If you're feeling ambitious, rearrange an entire room. You'd be amazed at how repositioning a few pieces of furniture and tweaking the lighting can instantly declutter and brighten a space.
3. Plant a winter-friendly container garden. This arrangement - a forest of miniature evergreens planted in a gleaming brass bowl - makes a show-stopping seasonal centerpiece.
4. Craft a set of sparkling snow globes. If you want to enjoy falling snow without, you know, actual snow… a set of snow globes keeps it all under glass.
6. Clean-spree your closet. Because you don't really need that dress from your cousin's wedding five years ago, do you?
7. Arrange a photo wall display. Isn't it about time you printed those images off your phone and enjoyed them in full, living color? Hang your favorites in a staggered collage.
8. Send funny photo cards to all your friends. (Goofy snapshots optional, but definitely recommended.)
9. Watch everything in Martha's Netflix queue. Who knew she was such a big fan of Maggie Gyllenhaal?
10. Light up a roaring fire… if you're lucky enough to have a fireplace, that is. Here's an idea for a fragrant fire starter: Use hemp twine to bundle small pine branches and cones, as well as dried orange slices, sage, lavender, or eucalyptus.
11. Sink into a luxurious bubble bath. Add flickering candles, scented bath fizzies, sudsy soaps, and exfoliating body scrubs (and maybe a glass of your favorite wine?) and you're all set for the afternoon. Lather, rinse, relax, and repeat.
12. Let it snow... indoors! You can fold and cut a flurry of snowflakes to decorate the whole house.
Feeling inspired? Watch this video for three ways to use paper snowflakes: