Pickled Green Tomatoes
Use this recipe to make Pickled Green Tomatoes and Shrimp Toast.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 2 pints
Photography: Christopher Testani
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2015
- 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar or apple-cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 3 whole allspice berries
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Coarse salt
- 4 small green tomatoes (1 pound), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 thin slices white onion
Combine vinegar, 3/4 cup water, sugar, spices, and 2 tablespoons salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Fill clean containers tightly with tomatoes and onion. Add boiling brine to cover completely. Let cool completely. Cover, label, and refrigerate at least 1 week before serving, or up to 3 months.