1. Place the flagstones over the grass, exactly where you want them.
2. Cut around the perimeter with a pruning saw.
3. Remove the flagstones and dig out the grass underneath so that the stones sit level with the surrounding area (about 4 inches).
4. Cut a piece of landscape cloth to fit the dugout area.
5. Top it with about two inches of gravel, and rake it smooth.
6. Add a layer of stone dust to level the area.
7. Replace the flagstones, leaving a little bit of space between each one, and wiggling them to make sure they are secure.
8. Pour more stone dust in between the cracks and whisk the stones clean.
Ta-da! You’ve got a lovely stone base for your fire pit -- and are now ready for all the bonfire parties your heart could desire.