Photography: Johnny Miller
Martha Stewart Living, June 2013
- Download dress pattern template, print, and assemble pattern. Lay out on towels (you may need to play around with positioning) and cut out.
- With right sides facing, sew interfacing pieces together at shoulders. Press seams open.
- With right sides facing, sew torso pieces together at shoulders and sides. Press seams open.
- Baste skirt piece along one long edge, then pull ends of thread to gather. With right sides facing, sew gathered edge to bottom of torso. Press seam open.
- With right sides facing, sew interfacing around neckhole and notch at back of dress. Trim seam, flip to inside of torso, and press down.
- Sew button at neck closure. Using some thread, create a loop buttonhole.
- Press sleeve opening under 1/4 inch, then another 1/4 inch, and hand-sew (with a slip stitch) to hem. Repeat on other side.
- Press hem under by 1/4 inch, then another 1/4 inch. Sew.
- Tea towels
- Sewing machine and supplies
- Half-dome button
- Dress Pattern Template
You can also use bias tape, rather than facing, to finish the neck and notch at back.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.