Brown-Butter Apricots with Brioche and Ice Cream
Photography: chris court
Martha Stewart Living, June 2013
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 pound ripe or overripe apricots (about 5), halved, pitted, and sliced into roughly 1-inch-thick wedges
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 4 slices brioche (each 3/4 inch thick)
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- Gently toss apricots with 3 tablespoons sugar. Place remaining 5 tablespoons sugar on a rimmed plate and dip both sides of each brioche slice in sugar, coating well. Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saute pan over medium heat until foaming. Add 2 brioche slices to pan and cook until golden brown on bottoms, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip slices, add 1 tablespoon butter, and cook until other sides are golden brown. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining 2 slices.
- Wipe out pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter and cook, swirling pan occasionally, until butter is golden brown and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add apricots and salt and cook, swirling pan to coat apricots in butter, until heated through, about 1 minute more.
- Remove pan from heat, add water, and swirl to create a smooth sauce. Divide brioche among 4 plates. Top each with apricots, sauce, and a scoop of ice cream. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.