Masala-Spiced Rib-Eye Steaks with Tomato-Okra Relish
Photography: chris court
Martha Stewart Living, June 2013
- Prep Time 35 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 30 minutes
- Serves 6
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 bone-in rib-eye steaks (each 2 pounds and 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick), room temperature
- 8 ounces fresh medium-to-large okra
- 8 ounces plum tomatoes (about 3), halved lengthwise
- 1 jalapeno chile
- 1 teaspoon safflower oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- Toast cumin, coriander, and peppercorns in a small skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Grind in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, transfer to a bowl, and stir in cinnamon and salt. Season each steak with 2 tablespoons spice mixture; let stand 30 minutes. Meanwhile, toss okra, tomatoes, and chile with oil and 1 teaspoon spice mixture.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and lightly brush hot grill with oil. Grill steaks until charred in places on bottom, 8 to 10 minutes. Turn steaks and add okra, tomatoes, and chile. Grill until vegetables are charred in places and tender, and a thermometer inserted into thickest part of steaks (do not touch bone) reaches 125 degrees for medium-rare. Transfer steaks and vegetables to a cutting board. While steaks rest, at least 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes, grill corn.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop okra, tomatoes, and chile and transfer to a bowl. Toss relish with mint and season with salt. Thinly slice steaks across the grain and serve with relish.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.