Another of my mother's recipes from Feast, A Tribal Cookbook, this dish can be made for lots of people, and with lots of people helping mix the filling and stuff the shells. It's what my mom makes for parties and potlucks. I've altered her recipe slightly, but I think it's still just as delicious."--Sarah Carey
Photography: Bryan Gardner
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 6
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 1/4 cups (6 ounces) grated mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 18 manicotti shells
- 1 recipe <u>Susan's Tomato Sauce</u> or 1 32-ounce jar marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, 1/2 cup Parmesan, egg, sugar and parsley; season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Spread half the marinara in the bottom of a 9-by-13 inch baking dish. Fill each shell with ricotta mixture and arrange in an even layer in dish. Top with remaining 2 cups marinara. Cover with foil and bake until sauce is bubbling and shells are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining Parmesan over top, return to oven, and bake until cheese is browned in spots, about 10 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.