Asian-Style Chicken and Rice
Arborio rice is not just for risotto. It has a creamy richness that's great in bakes like this
Photography: Johnny Miller
Everyday Food, March 2013
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ounces shiitake mushroom caps (about 3/4 cups), thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 3 2/3 cups chicken broth
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken, skin side down, until skin is crisp and golden, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add scallion whites, ginger, garlic, and mushrooms to pot and cook 1 minute, stirring. Stir in rice, broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil and place chicken on top, skin side up. Cover pot, transfer to oven, and bake until chicken is cooked through and liquid is absorbed, 25 minutes. Serve with scallion greens and cilantro.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.