- Cooking spray
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose baking mix (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners; lightly coat liners with cooking spray.
- Whisk together baking mix and sugar. In a large bowl, whisk together applesauce, buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Fold in dry mixture until just combined, then gently fold in chocolate and cherries.
- Divide batter evenly among cups, filling each to the brim. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Store in an airtight container, up to 3 days.